Friday, November 12, 2010

Chapter 1 Part 3

“Well we could, but it would be much more fun to tell as many people as possible just to get a reaction!” Blake walked into the living room and sat down on the couch, setting his glass of water on the small table next to the arm of the couch.

“No that is just not nice at all!” I followed him into the living room, joining him on the couch and plopping my feet onto the coffee table in front of us, “If you don't tell, I will remember this when the time comes that you do something to embarrass yourself and you don't want any one to know.”

“How about I just tell your mom and then I promise I will not tell a soul.” Blake reached for the remote and turned on the television, flipping through the channels with out really paying any attention to what he was passing.
“Okay, but if you tell someone else, I will personally kill you.” Blake laughed, “You don't think I'm serious, do you?!”

“No, not really. I know you don't have it in you to kill anyone.” Blake settled on a movie that was playing on one of the many channels and put the remote back down, “So do you think your mom would have any problems with you going with my family?”

I looked at the T.V. Screen gathering my thoughts, “I don't think she will, my dad on the other hand might.”

“I thought your parents are divorced and that your dad lives in another state.”

“They are divorced, but right before every major holiday, he will call and ask if I want to spend it with him. I don't think he realizes that not everything is how he thinks it is between us. Just because he has 'turned a new leaf' does not make me any less mad about what he did before he realized that he should try to live a better life.”

“I would ask what went on, but I don't know if you are up to telling me.”

“Thank you for being considerate of my feelings, most people are just nagging me to know. But I promise you that I will tell you eventually. I am just to fired up right now to explain it and I know my mom will be home soon and she doesn't always like to hear about my dad.”


Blake and I took out our homework for our classes and got to work on the assignments, occasionally asking one another questions, but working in silence for the most part. We had been working for a good half hour or so when we heard my mom's car pull up and her opening the door, calling out a greeting as she took off her shoes and jacket.

“We're in the living room doing our homework.” I yelled back in return to her greeting, trying to figure out the problem I was on and not paying much attention to what she had said or how I had phrased my reply.

“Hey Mrs. Pavlick, how was your day?” Blake looked up from his homework to talk to my mom.

“It was okay, how was your guys' day?” Mom sat down on the recliner across the room from us, curling her feet onto the chair.

“It was as good as it can get when we had to go to school, but at least it is Friday!” Blake grabbed his backpack and began putting his binders and pencils away.

“Well it couldn't have been that bad,” Mom was always the optimistic, and from the way she talked about high school, she never really went to high school. She thought that all the kids got along and that there were never any problems. When she noticed that Blake was putting away his stuff, she asked him about it, “You're not going home are you? You know that you can stay for dinner anytime you want!”

“Nah, I 'm not going, I am just done with my homework and wanted to make sure to put all my stuff away now so that I don't lose any of it.”

“That is a good idea! I wish Lena was more like you, she is always misplacing her school work.”

“Okay mom, no need to start comparing us. We are different people and no matter how much you want me to be like him, it will most likely never happen.” I put my homework on the table and stood up, stretching out my legs and my back, “I'm going to go make dinner now, it should be ready in about an hour.”

“Thank you for remembering Lena!” Mom walked over to me and gave me a quick hug and a kiss, “I am going to be in the office finishing up some paper work, would you mind calling me in when dinner is ready?”

I nodded as I walked into the kitchen and took down the book that the recipe was in, “Hey Blake, would you mind helping me make dinner?”

“Sure! So long as you trust me with a knife!” Blake followed me into the kitchen and threw away his bag of chips, “What do you need me to do?”

“First we should both wash our hands, I don't know about you, but I don't want homework tainting our food.”

Blake rolled his eyes as he turned on the sink and squirted soap onto his hands, “Eww, your soap smells girly...”

“Well what do you expect when you wash your hands in a house that only two girls live in?”

“Good point, but this soap is way more girly scented than I would expect you or your mom to like!” Blake moved away from the sink and dried his hands on the towel.

“Blake, it is not that girly, it is lavender scented. There is more girly scented stuff out there than lavender.” I washed my hands and dried them while Blake just rolled his eyes mouthing, whatever.

I walked back over to the counter that had the recipe for tonight’s dinner on it and read through the directions to make sure I did not forget to turn on the oven. Oven preheating, I walked over to the fridge and started to grab the cold ingredients the recipe called for, “Blake would you read what the recipe calls for and grab the non-refrigerated stuff we need, please and thank you.”

“I guess...”

I rolled my eyes at Blake and walked over to the stove, my arms pull of food. I set it all down and began the calming process of preparing a meal. I instructed Blake on what I needed him to do, and soon we were working in a comfortable silence, hardly getting into one an others way.

An hour later, Blake and I had prepared a rather delicious looking meal, “if you want to, you can dish yourself up some food while I go get my mom.”

“It's fine, I'll just wait for you two, I wouldn't want to start eating on my own and without the owners of the house.”

I nodded and ran to get my mom from her office, “Mom, dinner's ready.”

No comments:

Post a Comment